Attorney General is the legal advisor to the Government, as per Article 133 of the Constitution of the Republic of Maldives. Attorney General is appointed by the President of Maldives in accordance with Article 115 of the Maldives constitution.
The powers vested with the Attorney General are:
- To advise the Government on all legal matters affecting the State
- Performance of all duties pertaining to the Attorney General’s Office and discharge of all responsibilities required by the constitution and by law.
- Represent the State in all courts of the Maldives.
- To promote, protect, uphold and defend the rule of law, public safety, freedoms of the public and public interest.
- Issue general directives to the Prosecutor General on the conduct of criminal proceedings.